Re: [exim] Parlez-vous Exim avec Mailman - ACL clarification…

Author: Always Learning
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Parlez-vous Exim avec Mailman - ACL clarification sought

On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 18:24 +0000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> If you haven't any useful comments to make maybe silence could be the
> best option.

Usefulness should not be determined by a single individual (who
disappointingly abandoned so quickly his New Year resolution to be
courteous) in the absence of a published criteria subjected to peer
review. Such robust comments might detrimentally deter others writing to
this wonderfully informative and helpful mailing list.

I use Centos 5.5 which is derived from Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

On http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html is:-

# Home dir for your Mailman installation -- aka Mailman's prefix
# directory.
# By default this is set to "/usr/local/mailman"
# On a Red Hat/Fedora system using the RPM use "/var/mailman"
# On Debian using the deb package use "/var/lib/mailman"
# This is normally the same as ~mailman
MM_HOME=/var/mailman

(1) The correct data for Centos, and by implication for Red Hat and
Scientific Linux (the CERN derivative of Red Hat) is currently:-

    MM_HOME=/var/lib/mailman

because /var/mailman is non-existent and /var/lib/mailman exists.

(2) The above line

>    # This is normally the same as ~mailman

is possibly erroneous. The command:-

    echo ~mailman

produces:

    /usr/lib/mailman

on Centos 5.5 yet the actual location sought, because MM_HOME is used
in:-

    MM_LISTCHK = MM_HOME/lists/${lc::$local_part}/config.pck

and MM_LISTCHK appears in the router:-

    mailman_router:
            driver            = accept
            domains           = u6.u226.com
            require_files     = MM_LISTCHK
            local_part_suffix_optional
            local_part_suffix = -admin     : \
                                -bounces   : -bounces+* : \
                                -confirm   : -confirm+* : \
                                -join      : -leave     : \
                                -owner     : -request   : \
                                -subscribe : -unsubscribe
            transport         = mailman_transport

is /var/lib/mailman because sub-directory lists exists and
NOT /usr/lib/mailman where sub-directory lists does not exist.

QED Nigel ?

Perhaps someone will helpfully amend the documentation possibly
including my other minor suggestion.

Thank you.

Paul.
(A computer programmer for 43 and a bit years.)