Re: [exim] filter "mail" and envelope "from"

Author: WJCarpenter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] filter "mail" and envelope "from"

> How about a Sieve script with a "redirect" and another action too?
> Probably "keep".

I know what Sieve scripts are but haven't used them. Isn't Sieve
"redirect" the equivalent of an Exim filter "deliver" (modulo maybe
being counted as significant or not, which I can deal with). "deliver"
works fine for me, so "redirect" wouldn't help in that case. I'm
assuming the envelope sender restriction is part of the coding of the
autoreply transport, so anything in a Sieve script would be subject to
the same restrictions as an Exim filter.

The thing is, I do need to make modifications to the message I'm sending
out, so an MTA forwarding doesn't help me. I need an MUA forwarding,
and I think the only way to do that is via "mail". (I understand
completely the issue with mail loops that the hardcoded rule prevents.)

I also know that I can do what I want by piping into some shell command
concoction. I'm just hoping to avoid that complication and do what I
want directly from Exim. If there is no way for a filter to generate a
new message with a non-empty envelope sender, I guess I'll look doing
something in the Exim routers and transports. (For my particular use
case, it doesn't much matter what the envelope sender address is so long
as it's not empty.)

Thanks for your suggestion.