Re: [exim-dev] Latest releases on FreeBSD4

Author: W B Hacker
To: paul
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Latest releases on FreeBSD4
Paul Civati wrote:
> Phil Pennock<exim-dev@???> wrote:
>
>> I've just noticed that David was gracious enough to reply privately,
>> pointing out my mistake here and that the first semi-colon is necessary.
>> An embarrassing slip on my part.
>>
>> Just recreating that work and some other bits lost in a git mishap ...
>
> More importantly though this va_copy() macro workaround doesn't
> work on FreeBSD4 and results in a seg11 for the forked process if
> running with debugging. Not a major problem for now (was more
> important to address the security issue) it just means I can
> never run exim with debugging though.
>
> -Paul-

By 'FreeBSD4' I am [ass | pre] suming you mean FreeBSD 4.X

Few folks still vertical loved and revered same more than I.

But even I eventually had to give it up.

It isn't that 'bit rot' actually exists - a sound install is as good as it was
on Day One. and with 2+ year uptimes iterrupted only for CPU/PSU fan
replacement, it seemed to matter not.

But *everything else* has simply moved on. Build chain, compilers, utilities,
editors, libs, apps - and the toolsets and databases with which to vet, test,
and audit same.

Keeping up with that set of 'Jone's' eventually became more work than could be
justified. And work with progressively less-certainty of retaining the security
and stability that led to hanging-on to 4.X in the first place.

If you really ARE still using FreeBSD 4.X, Exim compilation will be the least of
your worries. Far worse assbiters lurk - and they will not necessarily announce
their presence - even with the likes of 'portaudit'.

Nor will all such have the quality and responsiveness exhibited by the Exim dev
team.

Time to move on. Really.

Bill