Re: [exim] Exim installations data

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Ian Eiloart
Para: Mike Cardwell, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] Exim installations data

--On 13 December 2010 10:29:21 +0000 Mike Cardwell
<exim-users@???> wrote:

> I'd be interested in working on a project to gather this data on a
> monthly basis and produce similar results to that produced by the
> Netcraft Web Server survey. I don't have the hardware/connectivity to do
> it though.

Security Space do this, though you have to pay to see reports less than a
year old. I've not looked at this for a long time, but am pleasantly
surprised to see huge apparent growth in market share for Exim, mostly at
the expense of Sendmail. Exim seems to be the most popular server, with 30%
market share (up from 25% the year before). Postfix, Microsoft and Sendmail
down at a bit below 20% each. Nobody else got above 3%

There's still an issue that almost 50% of servers don't identify themselves
in the banner. Security Space don't look any further, even though issuing
"HELP" and "HELO" can supposedly popular servers such as qmail.

Further, the sampling method is a bit iffy: for every domain in their web
server survey, they look for an MX record and then try to contact that
server.

<http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200911/mxsurvey.html>

Interestingly, in Nov 2009, 83% of Exim installs were running 4.69. 4.70
was released that month.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex