Re: [exim] Odd resolver issue, I think

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Odd resolver issue, I think
On 21/10/10 22:29, Jethro R Binks wrote:
> It doesn't appear to be Exim so far as I can see, but the resolver
> library. Whether it is correct to grumble or not is what I'm really after
> finding out.

I thought Exim did some kind of validation on hostnames but I can't find
the function anywhere near a NO_RECOVERY case .. it's the result of a
res_search() which doesn't return any answer data.

So .. possibly just the resolver? I haven't really run through the path
that it's taking. But the same thing happens on my systems here which
are Slackware and CentOS.

$ exim -bt "frank@*.text.wales.ac.uk"
syntax error: domain missing or malformed

BUT that is most certainly running through the validation function
instead of hitting the resolver.

There was a bug open sometime in the last few years talking about wildly
outlandish numbers of PTR RR being returned and how Exim handled them.
The eventual result being that it seemed to be an NP-Hard problem that
was better fixed by not putting insane things in DNS.