Re: [exim] How can I customize exim mailer

Top Pagina
Auteur: W B Hacker
Aan: exim users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] How can I customize exim mailer
Bobby Shahzad wrote:
> I want to avoid retry situation. Basically our situation is that mails keep
> coming in to queue(through newsletter injector script) even if there is
> permanent block, we dont want such messages to sit in retry queue for 5 days
> , we just want them to be discarded at once because delivery is not going to
> happen any way. So what I want is, the first time there is a TS03 yahoo
> error, stop delivery of any future message to Yahoo
>
> how can we do it?

Short term:

Have a look at Exim's retry settings. You can customize those by destination.

Combine that with altered freeze/thaw times for a great deal of 'automagic' or
self-adapting flexibility. EG earlier than-default retry-quit with a failure
message back to the original sender may be more help than hindrance.

Unless the amount still left in the queue is rather massive, not a lot of harm
is done, so add a cleanup script of the sort Wash mentions only if still essential.

Longer term?

'Honor the threat' - don't just apply a band-aid.

IOW - see what you can do w/r improving the manners of that injector script,
insuring overall link reliability, checking message format as far as apparent
spammishness, insure your server has good credentials, perhaps look at
rate-limiting .... all so as to improve initial acceptance of the traffic.

If all of that is well-behaved, you shouldn't HAVE an accumulation in the queue.

HTH,

Bill Hacker