Re: [exim] Callout

Author: Bryn Jones
To: Bryn Jones
Subject: Re: [exim] Callout

That is an error from the site you are calling out to, the remote server is
refusing to admit the validity of a localpart when the sender (to the remote
server) is empty. That is broken as it's not going to be accepting bounces
or other automated messages (like vacation messages, etc).

Your choices are:

1. Try to get the other mail server fixed (good luck), or at least try to
inform them they are broken.
2. Skip the callout for that site (and any others which are similarly
broken).
3. Let the mail be rejected (as now).
4. Give up on offsite callouts (there are sites which report you as a
spammer and blacklist you for doing just a single callout).

Your best bets are 1 and 3, i.e.: tell them why there messages are not going
to get delivered to your site, and let them work out if they want to fix it;
or 1 and 2, Tell them they are broken (in the hope they fix it), and work
around it. The path of least disruption is of course 4.

> My callout option in ACL:
>
>        deny
>                 message = Unable to verify sender address
> ($sender_address).
>                 !verify     =
> sender/callout=4m,maxwait=4m,connect=30s,defer_ok

> I'm a little bit confused, because in exim log i dont see message
> "Unable to verify sender address" but default(?) exim warning: "Sender
> verify fail"

The message goes to the SMTP session, so in this case you should get
something like:

[...]
MAIL FROM: <invalid@???>
550 Unable to verify sender address