Re: [exim] Hidden Exim version number

Author: Warren Baker
To: Michael Chung
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Hidden Exim version number
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Michael Chung <michaelchung@???> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I want to hidden the version number of my exim SMTP server. I am using Exim
> 4.70 now. But I does not want any one to know the for security reason.

Have a look at the main config option 'smtp_banner' in the spec file:

+-----------+---------+-------------+------------------+
|smtp_banner|Use: main|Type: string*|Default: see below|
+-----------+---------+-------------+------------------+

This string, which is expanded every time it is used, is output as the initial
positive response to an SMTP connection. The default setting is:

smtp_banner = $smtp_active_hostname ESMTP Exim \
$version_number $tod_full

Failure to expand the string causes a panic error. If you want to create a
multiline response to the initial SMTP connection, use "\n" in the string at
appropriate points, but not at the end. Note that the 220 code is not included
in this string. Exim adds it automatically (several times in the case of a
multiline response).

.warren