Re: [exim] Issue non-standard command and capture codes retu…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Issue non-standard command and capture codes returned by remote server during SMTP session?
Brent Bloxam wrote:
> I'm dealing with a Cisco T37 gateway that provides accounting
> information within the SMTP session itself if you send "xact" before you
> start the data section of an SMTP session.
>
> Example:
>> 220 mmoip-b.cisco.com Cisco NetWorks ESMTP server
>> ehlo anyserver.com
>> 250-mmoip-b.cisco.com, hello anyserver.com [223.255.254.10] (really)
>> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>> 250-8BITMIME
>> 250-PIPELINING
>> 250-HELP
>> 250-DSN
>> 250-XSESSION
>> 250 XACCOUNTING
>> mail from:<>
>> 250 2.5.0 Sender <> ok
>> rcpt to:<FAX=+1408555-7442@???>
>> 250 2.1.5 Recipient <FAX=+1408555-7442@???> ok, maps to '5557442' (cp=yes)
>> xact
>> 250 2.5.0 XACCOUNTING enabled
>> data
>> 354 Enter mail, end with a single "."
>> Testing 1 2 3
>> Testing 1 2 3
>> Testing 1 2 3
>> Testing 1 2 3
>> Testing 1 2 3
>> Testing 1 2 3
>> Testing 1 2 3
>> .
>> 250-2.5.0 Message delivered to remote fax machine
>> 250-2.5.0 fax_modem_time = 32/41
>> 250-2.5.0 fax_pages = 2
>> 250-2.5.0 gateway_id = mmoip-b.cisco.com
>> 250-2.5.0 fax_connect_speed = 14400bps
>> 250-2.5.0 transmit_bytes = 16870
>> 250-2.5.0 port_used = slot:1 port:2
>> 250-2.5.0 call_type = Fax Send
>> 250-2.5.0 abort_cause = 0
>> 250-2.5.0 T30_error_code = 0
>> 250-2.5.0 ISDN_disconnect_code = 16
>> 250 2.5.0 CSID =555-7442
>
> Is there any way for me to have exim issue the "xact" command and
> capture the group of messages after the data section completes? So far
> in perusing the Exim documentation, I haven't seen anything that
> suggests I can, but I thought I'd ask.

Brent,

One 'supposes' that Cisco wouldn't have this feature in use unless at least one
mainstream MTA could use it. Cisco staff are fairly prolific w/r providing draft
RFC's, and Go Ogle found:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0t/12_0t7/feature/guide/esmtp_a.html

.. but no RFC referenced.

Yet Go Ogle also finds Sun Java work that mentions the 'XACT' command:

http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/javadocs/com/sun/mail/smtp/SMTPTransport.html

Ergo, there must be more.... somewhere.

For sure Exim code could be added to do it. Not (personally) sure if a custom
message might also serve, nor if this is a growing need or a vanishing one.

HTH,

Bill