Re: [exim] sender verify fail

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Ho-Ki Au, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] sender verify fail

--On 8 September 2010 17:36:13 +0800 Ho-Ki Au <hoki.au@???> wrote:

> I'm trying to set up exim whose hostname is managed by a local dns server.
> Let's say our domain is abc.com and the exim server is running on
> mail.abc.com. When I tried to send mail using alpine on another host in
> the same domain, e.g. client.abc.com and specifying a sender address to be
> hau@???, exim refused to send the mail and log file showed:
>
> 2010-09-08 16:46:31 H=([192.168.1.60]) [192.168.1.60] F=<hau@???>
> rejected RCPT <hoki.au@???>: Sender verify failed
> 2010-09-08 16:47:01 H=([192.168.1.60]) [192.168.1.60] sender verify fail
> for <hau@???>: Unknown user
>
> However, if I changed the sender address to my company email address, e.g.
> hau@???, that exim successfully verified the sender.
> If I dig -t mx abc.com, it returned me the correct (internal) ip address
> in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet. Could someone tell me what exim was doing
> when it verified the sender address? And how can I get it to send mail
> from hau@???? I do not want to disable require verify = sender

The error message is saying that the sender address is undeliverable. Fix
the deliverability problem, and you'll be able to send email.

You should not use an undeliverable address as the SMTP return path, and
will have problems delivering email to some remote sites (those that use
sender verification callouts) if you do.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex