Re: [exim] Failed to get write lock

Top Pagina
Auteur: Dave Evans
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] Failed to get write lock
On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 08:31:11AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> Trying to figure out what causes this?
>
> 2010-08-25 07:44:14 Failed to get write lock for
> /var/spool/exim/db/ratelimit.lockfile: timed out
>
> And how I can detect and avoid it in the future.

You already did detect it, by seeing the message in the log.

You avoid it primarily by ensuring the db file in question is on a fast
filesystem (e.g. ram disk - see the warning in the "Using rate limiting"
section of the spec), and/or reducing the use of that db file (e.g. using
fewer ratelimit tests in your config, or sharing your load across more Exim
instances).

Just out of interest, do you use a built-from-source exim, and if so, what do
you have EXIMDB_LOCK_TIMEOUT set to?

--
Dave Evans
http://djce.org.uk/