Re: [exim] How to configure sieve filtering?

Autor: Phil Pennock
A: Kaz Kylheku
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] How to configure sieve filtering?
On 2010-08-17 at 23:02 -0700, Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> I have the following trivial .forward file:
>
> # Sieve filter
> require ["fileinto"];
>
> The presence of this file hods up incoming mail due to:
>
> ... save inbox <kaz@???> R=userforward T=address_file defer
> (-21): appendfile file or directory name "inbox" is not absolute
>
> I understand that the Sieve filter requires
> "inbox" to be mapped to something.
>
> I have the multi-file "conf.d" type configuration, rather
> than the all-in-one-file configuration.
>
> I tried adding both "directory = ..." and "file = ..." configuration
> lines to /etc/exim4/conf.d/transport/30_exim4-config_address_file,
> based on the "inbox" rewriting example in chapter 26 of the
> documentation.
> Of course, I restarted the server. It made no difference; exim4 keeps
> complaining about "inbox" not being absolute.
>
> The "Hello, world" goal here is that messages which are not filtered
> are to go into $home/Maildir in the maildir format, as if there was no
> .forward file at all.

So there's two parts to this, the Sieve part and the Debian
configuration system (also used by Debian derivatives, such as Ubuntu).

The split configuration system is a Debian addition, not supported here
at the upstream; you should have a README.Debian.gz in
/usr/share/doc/exim4/ which walks you through making sure that you
regenerate the configuration file from the parts, if needed.

That out of the way:
$ exim -bP transport_list
will list all the transports seen by the daemon, and:
$ exim -bP transport $transport_name
will give the configuration for a given transport. More information in
The Exim Specification (online in HTML, or
/usr/share/doc/exim4/spec.txt.gz) in section 5.3, "Command line options"
under "-bP".

If -bP doesn't show you the configuration you're expecting, you need to
revisit the Debian-specific issue of dealing with the split
configuration and build system. If it does, then we are into territory
where we can help you.

In order to help you, it would be useful to see the transport which you
have, including the "directory" line. At the moment, you've described
that you have a problem, given us the log line, but not given us any
configuration to reason about or help you with.

(And yes, it should be "directory =" for Maildir, plus
"maildir_format").

Regards,
-Phil