[exim] Change user from "debian-exim" to "mail"?

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Yves Goergen
To: exim
Oggetto: [exim] Change user from "debian-exim" to "mail"?
Hi,

I have installed the exim4 server on Ubuntu 10.4 and copied (and
updated) my configuration from an older Debian server with a
self-compiled exim server. Mail is stored to virtual user maildirs in
/var/mail/virtual/<domain>/<localpart>. All in /var/mail belongs to the
user "mail". IMAP and POP servers are configured to use the user "mail"
so they have access to those directories.

Sending myself a message fails (it won't be delivered) and the exim
mainlog says it doesn't have access to that maildir. The exim process is
running as user "118" (which is "Debian-exim" when I look it up myself,
ps can't display the name for some unknown reason). Is there a way to
change that username so that it uses "mail" again?

If that's not possible, do I need to change everything, ownership of
/var/mail, runtime users for Dovecot and my helper scripts, from "mail"
to "Debian-exim"? (Mind case, the user doesn't exist with a lower "d"!
Might be the only user name with an upper-case letter...)

What's so special about that username that ps won't show it but only its
number instead? Is it maybe a not very well supported name, because of
the "-" or something?

Anyway, there's generic system users for anything, why does this one
need to name the (based-upon) Linux distribution AND the product name?
For a use that is shared among different products, like SMTP, IMAP etc.
I really think that "mail" would have been a better choice. Or maybe
there's an unknown reason behind that, too?

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <nospam.list@???>