Re: [exim-dev] C question for test suite.

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Jetmore
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] C question for test suite.
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, John Jetmore wrote:

> I think I may have figured out why so many people are having a hard
> time with the test suite - Phil's "cf" tool, which is used in just
> about every test, doesn't seem to compile cleanly on 64bit OSs.

I suggest you abandon it and just use "diff" instead. My "cf" is a very
ancient personal "compare" program (nearly 25 years old now, ported to
various different OS and translated between BCPL and C), as the comments
at its head state:

History:

It was originally written in C, but the C under
Panos is still a shambles (1986). Translated therefore
to BCPL -- this explains some of the odd style.

Modified to run on Archimedes, August 1987.
Modified to run under MSDOS, March 1989.
Modified to run under CINTERP interpreter, July 1989.
Modified to run under Unix, October 1989.

Translated back into C, March 1990!

I tend to use cf out of habit. But times have moved on, and there really
isn't any need for it in the Exim world now.

> In the mean time there's an option to run the testsuite with diff
> instead of cf to compare files, but it would be nice to get cf
> working, both tools have their places.

If you want to, by all means fix it! Please send me a copy when you have
done so. I didn't have 64-bit systems in mind a quarter of a century ago!

Philip

--
Philip Hazel