Re: [exim] Connection age feature?

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Connection age feature?
Marc Perkel wrote:

> On 7/14/2010 10:20 PM, W B Hacker wrote:
>> Marc Perkel wrote:

>>> It works. And most everything that takes more than 30 seconds to reach
>>> the data acl is spam (that not a large message and when load levels are
>>> normal) It does seem to be somewhat useful in detecting spam in
>>> combination with other factors.
>>>

>> Interesting.
>>
>> Maybe.
>>
>> *Why* does it take so long?
>>
>> Are your own content-scanning delays a significant contributor, perhaps?
>>
>> NB: *Excluding* any penalty delays WE impose, but *including* SA and ClamAV,
>> even spam is generally handled here in sub two seconds end to end, so....
>>
>> 'Curious'
>>
>> Bill
>>

> No - not my content scanning because I do it before Spam Assassin or
> Clam.

ACK - but I'd meant inclusive of those players - eg: overall time consumed at
your end....and on the expectation that the spammier it is the longer the scan
is likely to take.

So the question remains - is the delay the far-end's 'tactic' - or just a byproduct.

And I also exclude large messages. A Windows virus infected spam
> bot doesn't send out spam one at a time. They connect to several servers
> at once and they are pumping spam as fast as the connection can handle
> it.

Agree so far...

Thus it takes longer to deliver a message than usual.

That reason is still To be Determined.

As computing and networking stuff goes, an smtp session - or many such at once -
is/are relatively trivial users of machine (or link) resources - even if
something other than a fast, compiled binary is doing the do.

MY point was that a Winbox that has become infected with one parasite may well
be infected with MANY. While a zombie pumping smtp spam might come nowhere near
bringing the machine to a crawl, some of those others are far heavier resource hogs.

All supposition, of course - and your metric may have merit.

But I remain sceptical that it is a deliberate tactic on the part of the zombot
master.

Seems to go way too much against their pressing need for speed..

> How to use this information is tricky. One thing someone could do is to
> conditionally grey list based on this. What I'm doing is adding a point
> if there are also other spam indicators like bad helo, dynamic ip space,
> etc.

Incorrect HELO is all too common. Originating in dynamic IP *space* , OTOH,
could pass here IF the provider's upstream has registered all the right DNS
creds, as 'some' do for SME clients, AND it is NOT found in a SORBS Dynamic IP RBL.

Fairly rare combo, that. Most reject on rDNS fail, after which I of course no
longer have further details.

> BTW Bill, you have my servers black listed.

Some of them. Sometimes.

Reject message may state '... blacklisted', but it might just be the DDFD acl.

The list reaches me in any case.

Bill