[pcre-dev] how to use cmake in opensource projects

Author: Craig Silverstein
To: pcre-dev
Subject: [pcre-dev] how to use cmake in opensource projects
In another opensource project I manage, I got a request to use cmake
rather than maintain my own .sln and .vcproj files, which is what I do
now.

I'd certainly be happy to get out of the .sln-making business, but I'm
not very familiar with cmake. Does it require users of my project to
have cmake installed as well? Or would I generate the appropriate
.sln/etc projects via cmake, and just package them with my
distribution? What does pcre do?

I also know that pcre uses autotools as its 'default' build
environment. Does cmake manage to 'inherit' info it needs from
configure.ac and Makefile.am, or does someone maintain a parallel
build structure just for cmake?

Thanks for your help!
craig