Re: [exim-dev] Website redesign - feedback roundup

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Website redesign - feedback roundup
Look again at the documentation pages (the rest has barely been touched),
and you will see things have changed:-
- we have indexes - 3 of them currently, embedded as chapters.
- top bar has been tweaked
- formatting tweaked (in particular for option lists)

On 6 Jul 2010, at 10:21, Wolfgang Breyha wrote:
> It looks very nice but I'm missing the index like

Indexes... we have them...

On 5 Jul 2010, at 19:31, Brad Jorsch wrote:
> There is also little need for the search box to be on a separate line
> from the links, especially when not doing so saves 50% of the vertical
> space used under the H1. Fixing both of those takes the top bar from 108
> to 22 pixels in my browser, and makes the page seem much less cramped.

Search box has moved....

On 5 Jul 2010, at 18:02, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> However the floating menu at the top of the page is too prominent
> (There is really no reason why "Exim Internet Mailer" needs to be
> present all the time.)

Not dealt with that - thinking about it currently....

On 5 Jul 2010, at 16:59, Alain Williams wrote:
> I like that pop out TOC, the only minor issue that I have is that I needed
> to allow another site trought the firefox javascript blocker (noscript);
> although I suspect that most people don't default to blocking everything as I do.

Actually I think this can be done just using CSS (at a cost of putting the
list for the TOC on every page, rather than pulling in an XML index with
JS as is currently done). You lose the animation effects, and also make
the pages bigger (although the network transfer is likely to be the same
overall).

I guess stuff that I know needs doing (for the docs at least) are:-
  - links to the indexes from each page
  - make the TOC side block fall back to being just a link if
    there is no javascript
  - maybe index tidying
  - section navigation within chapters (which helps the indexes too)

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]