Re: [exim] SRS forward

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Ian Eiloart
To: Dan_Mitton, exim-users
Oggetto: Re: [exim] SRS forward

--On 1 July 2010 08:17:54 -0700 Dan_Mitton@??? wrote:

> Isn't it just easier to always do the SRS rewrite, rather then having to
> do a DNS query, wait for the response, check the result...?

It might be easier, but it's not necessarily advisable. SRS exists in order
to avoid downgrading the SPF status of a message. If the message has an SPF
PASS, SRS lets you pass it on without downgrading the status to SOFTFAIL,
NEUTRAL or FAIL. Using SRS without publishing an SPF record of your own
risks downgrading messages from pass to no unknown.

However, if you use SRS for mail that fails SPF tests, or on mail from
domains without SPF records, then you risk upgrading the message to a PASS.
That might be OK, for example if the message had a good DKIM signature in
the same domain, and if you actually trust the original domain. It might
improve the deliverability of a message that you have reason to trust.

But, if the message has a good DKIM signature, then the signature should
survive your forwarding. The recipient host should check both the SPF
status and the DKIM signature. Most mail paths won't break both a DKIM
signature AND SPF. Arguably DKIM is better than SRS in preserving
authentication across hops, so you may consider that SRS isn't necessary if
a message carries a good DKIM signature that you aren't going to break.