Re: [exim] server specs

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Chih-Cherng Chin
To: \"Exim-users\"
Betreff: Re: [exim] server specs
On 2010-06-17 13:52, Jean-Paul natola wrote:
> I'm trying get an idea of the hardware required for a new server, I
> currently use exim in th efollowing config
>
> PIV 1.3
> 1gig ram
> 40 gig IDE drive
>
> I use exim with spamassassin and clamav as a gateway to sanitze email
> that is then handed off to my exachange server.
>
> Recently the 3 domains that are hosted have become increasingly popular
> targets fopr spam.
> We only have ~75 users/boxes but have been getting hammered.
> we get about 7000 legit emails per day

Have you considered using greylisting to fend off spam? I myself maintained
a mail gateway during 2005-2006, with the following hardware configuration:

AMD Athlon 900Mhz CPU * 1
256 MB RAM
20GB disk

Its software included Linux (OS), exim (SMTP server), ClamAV (with exiscan,
virus mail scanning), greylistd (blocking bot-sent spam). More than 85000
SMTP connections were attempted daily, but after various spam blocking
measures (dnsbl, virus scanning, executable attachment blocking, and
greylisting etc.), only 25000 mails made into users' inboxes.

It is said that greylisting could greatly reduce the number of mail hitting
SpamAssassin. If you found your system is CPU-bound from the use of
SpamAssasin, greylisting might solve your problem with no need to buy a new
server.

Chih-Cherng Chin
Botnet Detection with Greylisting:
http://botnet-tracker.blogspot.com/2009/11/greylisting-botnet-detection-honeypot.html