[exim] Host lookup does not complete

Author: Vadnais, Kevin
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Host lookup does not complete
Hi all,

I'm having an issue where an errant email address to a bogus domain (
gmail.ca) does not reject the message, but gives a temporary rejection
message instead.

main.log.04.gz:2010-06-17 11:49:13 H=??.??.??.?? (??.??.??)
[xxx.xx.x.xx]:27645 I=[xx.xx.x.xxx]:25 F=<fake_address@???>
temporarily rejected RCPT anotherfakeaddress@???: host lookup did not
complete

the domain gmail.ca doesn't exist, and it seems to be the only domain which
causes this issue.

My acl_check_rcpt verify statments are as follows:

acl_check_rcpt:
accept  hosts = :
drop
    message             = Username and Password required for mail submission
    condition           = ${if ={$interface_port}{SUBMIT_PORT} {1} {0} }
  ! authenticated       = *

deny    message       = Restricted characters in address
          domains       = +local_domains
          local_parts   = ^[.] : ^.*[@%!/|]
 deny    message       = Restricted characters in address
          domains       = !+local_domains
          local_parts   = ^[./|] : ^.*[@%!] : ^.*/\\.\\./

deny    message       = Refused: You have reached your sending limit of \
                          $sender_rate_limit per $sender_rate_period
          log_message   = BLOCKED - Rate limit reached
          authenticated = *
        ! senders       = +rate_exempt
          ratelimit     = 1000 / 24h / per_rcpt / leaky / $authenticated_id
 warn    log_message   = Rate for $authenticated_id : $sender_rate /
$sender_rate_period
          authenticated = *
          condition     = ${if >={${sg{$sender_rate}{[.].*}{}}} {10}}
 accept  local_parts   = postmaster : root : mailman : mailer-daemon
          domains       = +local_domains
 accept  hosts         = +accept_servers
          endpass
          message       = Unknown user or bad forwarding address for
$local_part@$domain
          verify        = recipient
require verify        = sender
accept  hosts         = +relay_from_hosts
          domains       = +local_domains
          endpass
          message       = Unknown user or bad forwarding address for
$local_part@$domain
          verify        = recipient
 accept  hosts         = +relay_from_hosts
 accept  authenticated = *
          domains       = +local_domains
          endpass
          message       = Unknown user or bad forwarding address for
$local_part@$domain
          verify        = recipient
 accept  authenticated = *
  deny    message       = Relay not permitted - Authentication required

When I perform a command line smtp session through telnet I get the
following error

HELO ???.uleth.ca
250 ???.uleth.ca Hello ???.uleth.ca [142.66.6.147]
MAIL from:me@??? <from%3Ame@???>
250 OK
RCPT to:reneenicole.rg@??? <to%3Areneenicole.rg@???>
451 Temporary local problem - please try later
quit

Is this some kind of DNS issue? Is there a convenient way to reject all
gmail.ca addresses. I'd rather not do that as it seems like a horrible way
of dealing with what seems like a more systemic issue.

Thanks
--

Kevin Vadnais
Systems Programmer