Re: [exim] server specs

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Ron White
Betreff: Re: [exim] server specs
On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 17:54 -0400, Jean-Paul natola wrote:

> > VIA C6 MB @ US$ 70. Twin 80 to 500 GB WD SATA on ATACONTROL, GMIRROR, or
> > SoftRAID are cheap. HK$ 1,300 1U case & PSU... typically 4 to 6 year component
> > life - HDD included, fans excluded. IPFW or PF has all one needs for clever
> > firewalling.
>

> I was thinking a box along these lines, they even look like the barracuda appliance
>
> http://www.asaservers.com/showpages.asp?pid=1291#

More like this: http://www.supermicro.com/index.cfm but I would
personally warn against the 1 & 2u versions if they are going anywhere
near people. They are so noisy you could think you are standing near a
747 taking off. If it is going in a server room or data centre then it
is ideal.

There are plenty of used Barracuda devices around out there but be
warning buying used means you will never be able to get any support from
Barracuda - or purchase updates. This is to protect their reseller
network. However they still work fine and you can easily get into them
and I imagine it would be fairly trivial to alter the scripts to update
Spamassassin and ClamAV using their natural 'free' sources.

Personally I've owned a number of Barracuda units over the last few
years. They have some issues (which I won't details as this would be
useful to spammers wanting to DoS them). I've long since ditched the
hardware and put them onto Sun's excellent 'Virtual Box' (not a fan of
VMWare) but I would love to be a good enough coder to produce something
with Exim as an O/S project that did all the Barracuda could do, but for
free.