Re: [exim] server specs

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Ron White
題目: Re: [exim] server specs
On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 14:13 -0400, Jean-Paul natola wrote:

> > I have spent some time working with Barracuda 'spam' firewalls which
> > have this (or a lower) specification and they can easily handle quite a
> > lot of work (hundreds of domains, thousands of messages). Inside they
> > are just a Linux box running a couple of MTA's, clamav, amavis-new,
>

> More than one MTA on box?
>

> As you can probably tell, I'm not that well versed in the *nix world
>

> Is this possible with freebsd?

I cannot see why not, but I don't think I would personally do it the way
Barracuda do it. They employ a custom front end MTA which sits a bit
like a Bastion proxy in front of a Postfix instance listening on port
2525. This is the 'inbound' side of things. It has two further instances
of Postfix, one acts as an 'outbound' (but not in the sense most people
would understand it to be) and one for local mail - mostly notifications
from the box itself.

Why it is set up this way I can only take wild guesses at but I feel it
is because Postfix lacks features and flexibility. Exim is far more
flexible and I hold the opinion it can do all of this without the
complication or hassle.

The 'per user' features of the Barracuda are mostly built upon the
feature set of amavis-new. Commonly used with Postfix, but I don't see
lots of people using it with Exim.

Other than that, the Barracuda is nearly all O/S with the odd bit of
custom code and a fairly simple web based GUI.

Is it worth the money? Well if I put my hand on my heart I would say
'no' for me. But you have to consider within the cost of a Barracuda is
the technical support they offer and frequent updating (many times an
hour).

Over the years I've seen plenty of folk knock Barracuda and claim it to
be 'knocked off Open Source with a bunch of scripts' and that may be
reasonably fair. However, if it were that easy to make a recipe like it,
there would be a project just like it as open source, and I've not seen
anything quite like it. That said, I'd like to see an O/S clone of it's
feature set, with better performance based upon Exim. But I don't think
I'll see it. I know there is mail scanner 'http://www.mailscanner.info/'
but I can't profess to have done a comparison.

Truth is, if you are building a machine to handle and filter mail, there
is going to be some steep learning :-) I'm still fighting Exim several
months later after moving from Postfix, but I adore it as an MTA and I
trust it as an MTA.