Re: [exim] Proposal: $message_body_hash_sha1

Autor: Ian Eiloart
A: exim-users
Assumptes nous: [exim] DKIM, Mailing-lists and signing lengths
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Proposal: $message_body_hash_sha1

--On 11 June 2010 22:37:09 -0700 Phil Pennock <exim-users@???>
wrote:

> On 2010-06-11 at 23:34 +0200, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
>> Ian Eiloart <iane@???> (Fr 11 Jun 2010 18:25:45 CEST):

>> > So, why not use the DKIM features?
>>
>> Stupid question maybe: does the DKIM signature include the message body?
>> (I always thought, it's only a signature for selected header fields.)
>
> Yes, it includes the message body; otherwise a spammer could just
> include the headers from a valid message and a new body and pump out
> spam which verifies as coming from an identity that they do not actually
> have administrative control of.
>
> DKIM contains two ways of forming the message body, for signing
> purposes, and optionally lets you only sign the first 'l' bytes of the
> body. So you could theoretically use l=0 but at this time I can't
> conceive of a scenario where that would be wise.

It might allow the signature to survive the addition of a mailing list sig.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex