[exim] exim hardware tests

Top Pagina
Auteur: Johnathan Phan
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: [exim] exim hardware tests
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to create the following setup and would appreciate any guidance
anyone can give me.

What do I want to achieve -

I wish to test the capabilities of exim, with different hardware and
different OS’s. I am trying to understand what configurations need to be
considered when sending millions or billions of emails on a daily basis. –
i.e.- if I was accepting 100 emails per second, how long before my mail
gateway will fall if there is a dns failure and the server can’t find the mx
records for any domains. Or how many emails can the server handle before
inodes become a problem. Or more famously in my personal testing, how long
does a server have to send a million emails to it for you to be able to cook
and egg using the CPU heat sink? ;) )

How do I intend to do this? -

I have purchased 2 HP DL360’s with identical specifications as well as
purchased a domain and set them up in an office which has two phone lines.
One phone line feeds each server. Each phone line is precisely the same ISP
and bandwidth.

The intension is to setup FreeBSD on one box and Ubuntu on the other. Get
efficient script that can generate 1000 of emails to send emails to an email
address I specific on each of the boxes. Setup an empty mailbox on each of
the two servers and set the domain mx records to match each of the phone
lines feeding each box.

When I want to test the ubuntu box’s configurations. I would activate the
script on the ubuntu box which would send emails to the FreeBSD one. (This
mailbox would need to have the ability to delete these emails very quickly
as well. I am sure I can achieve this using a cron) IF I wanted to test the
abilities of the FreeBSD one, I would perform the action mentioned above but
for the Freebsd server instead.

What do I need guidance about from the exim god’s that be? –

1>I am not a programmer so I don’t know how to create a script that can
generate 1000 of emails that will be sent to an email address I specify.

2>is there a tool out there can translate the mail log into a graphical
graph or a set f statics showing the efficiency of the server. Something I
can use to analyse how well the server has performed.

Thank you for all your help in advance. If you have a personal interest in
this topic of testing. I am more than happy to share any data I collect with
people that proactively helps in accomplishing this test. I will also be
publishing my findings on a web-site that I can link to anyone who asks for
it.