[exim-dev] Proposed changes to doc build

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-dev
Subject: [exim-dev] Proposed changes to doc build
I've been playing with the documentation building stuff recently, and
have some changes I'm thinking about making.

The current process for building the documentation can be found at
    http://wiki.exim.org/BuildingDocumentation

We did not build texinfo docs for the last release version as the
machine I had to use for the build could not build the texinfo
pre-requisits. The machine I would normally use would not run xfpt
without crashing. That last problem has now been fixed with the
release of xfpt 0.08.

Unfortunately, other than dropping some of the output formats there
are not any good ways of making the overall build process less
complex.

Changes I am thinking of making:-
    - move all the scripts into their own directory
    - move stylesheets etc into own directory
    - template the system stylesheet locations into
      the stylesheets at doc build time rather than
      modify the stylesheets in place (as done now)
    - move a lot of the HTML tweaks into CSS
    - simplify a load of the scripts - modern perl rewrite

Presuming a move to git, I'll wait for that before doing this change
set as the shuffling of files will confuse cvs.

Ideally the HTML presentation would be improved, but that needs more
thought - I'm hoping that regularising the build process will help
in getting a better starting point.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]