Re: [exim] shouldn't exigrep sort the grepped file(names) by…

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Heiko Schlittermann, exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] shouldn't exigrep sort the grepped file(names) by date?
On 9 Jun 2010, at 12:10, Ian Eiloart wrote:

> Interesting. My files are always sorted OK when grepping. Probably because
> I use globs to specify them, and name them with iso dates yyyy-mm-dd, which
> naturally sort properly. Still, this is a useful enhancement.

If you have log files named something like main.log, main.log.1 ... main.log.20
then this change will break things for you if you so something like
    exigrep ... main.log.[5-9] main.log.1[0-2]

and worse, you can't work round it - you either have to change the
filenames, or modify the script.

I think invisibly re-ordering command line arguments is a bad idea.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]