Re: [exim-dev] Last minute feature

Author: V. T. Mueller, Continum
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Last minute feature
Hello,

Jethro R Binks wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>>> I suggest the limit stays the same, as increasing it may cause problems
>>> with existing installations depending on it (or without resources to cope
>>> with the drastic increase).
>>> Instead, I suggest Marc supplies a patch that makes this tweakable at a
>>> build-time, so he can incorporate his preferred value into his own build
>>> processes.
>> Good suggestion going forward (could this be made a run-time config?),
>> but even with a patch its not going to make 4.72
> I agree; far to late to bring to the 4.72 table.

While I didn't check the code, I would assume that it's possible to
change a "2" into a "5" before compiling. Thus this looks like a far too
disproportinal change to me, both for Marc as for others who would have
to adapt build framework, code and documentation.

Besides, this is a good example why the current development status of
exim isn't as problematic as it has been stated here before (by few
individuals). Exim is stable and functional. Everything that might be
needed in addition is more or less questionable and there are many
reasons for objecting its implementation. In addition to that, there are
people who do care for implementing fixes and the still outstanding
documentation.

In plain words: calling the exim project "dead" is simply stupid.

My apologies for mixing in an already closed thread, but I just felt
this had to be added after last weeks' messages.

Cheers,
--
Volker T. Mueller
Continum AG

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Freiburg im Breisgau
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Freiburg, HRB 6866
Vorstand: Rolf Mathis, Volker T. Mueller
Vorsitzender d. Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. Karl-F. Fischbach