Re: [exim] Auto reloading relay_from_host files

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Frank DeChellis
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Auto reloading relay_from_host files
On 2010-05-30 at 20:36 -0400, Frank DeChellis wrote:
> I had to install it on another machine this weekend. My experience on the
> original machine install was that any changes to relay_from_hosts and
> local_domain we read every time a new child was started.

Exim re-reads its own configuration frequently, but changes which need
to affect the listening daemon still need a HUP to trigger a main config
re-read.

If your external files are Exim fragments, being ".include"'d into the
main config, then you need a HUP.

If it's a file reference of the form:
hostlist foo = /path/to/file
then it is cached after the first reference, so if it is referred to
*before* exim forks to handle the incoming connection, you'll probably
need a HUP again to get it to be reused.

I expect local_domain will only be used in child processes, so would be
fine without a HUP. relay_from_hosts ... it depends upon whether or not
you're using it in directives such as hosts_connection_nolog or
smtp_reserve_hosts.

-Phil