Re: [exim-dev] Security issues in exim4 local delivery

Author: Dan Rosenberg
To: Dan Rosenberg, pdp, nigel, exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Security issues in exim4 local delivery
I just noticed the Bugzilla entries for these issues. I wanted to
point out that the impact of the second bug is more than just creating
empty files - because of the chmod() call, permissions on the victim's
files may be changed.

That being said, I have yet to come across a system that uses MBX
locking, with a dependency on /tmp, AND allows symlink following on
/tmp. So I think it would be perfectly appropriate not to address the
race condition in the code in favor of making it explicitly clear in
the documentation that this particular combination of configurations
is potentially unsafe.

I'd like to publish an advisory for these issues, just in case any
users are affected and don't follow Exim upstream carefully. I'll be
sure to emphasize the somewhat low impact, which configurations are
vulnerable, and mitigation strategies.

Is there an idea of when 4.72 will be ready? Are there plans on
addressing the MBX issue further?

Thanks,
Dan