Re: [exim] exim running on 2 different ports with 2 differen…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim running on 2 different ports with 2 different ips
MadTh wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Is it possible to have exim running( single instance) on 2 different ports
> with 2 different ips with different rules (i.e we can accept only mail from
> say appriver on 1 ip and the other ip accepts from all) , if required we can
> force the remote host to connect to one particular port/ip.

See Heiko's reply for the 'basics'.

Exim has more. A lot more.

It can also choose which - if any - sets of certs/CA's to supply for each IP,
choose or detect handshake and encryption protocol per IP:port, select the
outbound IP and HELO string to be used ... yada yada.

And - in your case - if you control the far-end, you can also use port 24 'any
private...' not need an extra IP, and reduce (somewhat) the number of bogus
arrivals seeking to abuse your system.

There are malicious critters out there that probe port 24, but far fewer of them
than attack port 25. Multiple tens of millions fewer.

HTH

Bill