Re: [exim] Apple mail...

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Apple mail...
Nigel Wade wrote:
> On 20/05/10 10:36, John Doe wrote:
>> From: Nigel Wade<nmw@???>
>>> Is the client performing TLS on connect (a.k.a. SSL),
>>> whilst the server is expecting a normal connection,
>>> with encryption established via STARTTLS? That
>>> would explain the synchronization error.
>> Not sure, I have these:
>> daemon_smtp_ports = 25 : 465
>> tls_on_connect_ports = 465
>> Should I remove the 465 from daemon_smtp_ports?
>>

> No. That's correct for an "SSL" client. It works from my iPhone to Exim.

465 *may* work as [pure | legacy] SSL, yes.

IF the MTA is still so configured.

But an MTA should no longer BE so configured.

Given that:

A) 465 was never, ever, formally finalized and adopted by IANA/IETF for
'official' smtp submission use, despite de-facto co-option for a decade or two
while the battle raged...

.. and 587 was finally adopted...

and

B) 465 *was* formally and officially turned-over to a Cisco protocl WEF
February of .. several years ago now...

Ergo .. running 465 as an SSL-smtp submission port is technically an RFC
violation, and SHOULD be discontinued.

Mind, I won't hold my breath waiting...

;-)

Bill