Re: [exim] Mailing Listname with "&" character in prefix

Author: Odhiambo Washington
To: exim users
On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:53 AM, Jethro R Binks
<jethro.binks@???>wrote:

> On Thu, 20 May 2010, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>
> > I actually was only worried about jack&jill@.... the ampersand scares me
> > somehow...
> > I love using Mailman's CLI and it groks badly (as I expected) when I try
> > creating such a list:
> >
> > gw# /usr/local/mailman/bin/newlist
> > women&cybercrime@???<women%26cybercrime@???>
> <women%26cybercrime@???<women%2526cybercrime@???>
> >
> > [1] 30621
> > cybercrime@???: Command not found.
> > gw# Enter the email of the person running the list:
> >
> > Now, it thinks the part apres the "&" is a command:-)
>
> No idea whether Mailman will like the ampersand, but the problem here is
> that the shell is interpreting the ampersand, so Mailman never gets a
> chance to see it and grumble :)
>
> Try quoting your command:
>
> /usr/local/mailman/bin/newlist 'women&cybercrime@???<women%26cybercrime@???>
> '
>
> but like you I'd still worry about it even if Mailman accepted it :).

Trying as suggested ...

gw# /usr/local/mailman/bin/newlist
'women&cybercrime@???<women%26cybercrime@???>
'
Enter the email of the person running the list: odhiambo@???
Initial women&cybercrime password:
Create a new, unpopulated mailing list.

Usage: /usr/local/mailman/bin/newlist [options] [listname [listadmin-addr
[admin-password]]]
[snip]
Illegal list name: women&cybercrime

Maybe I can rewrite headers to enable me use such a name, but I think that
is being too ambitious.

....and ecartis seems unavailable, even via cvs..

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,