Re: [exim] Mailing Listname with "&" character in prefix

Autor: Odhiambo Washington
A: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Mailing Listname with "&" character in prefix
On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:29 AM, W B Hacker <wbh@???> wrote:

> Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > Hello List,
> >
> > I am managing a list server running on Mailman+Exim and someone has
> > requested that I create a list named (say)
> > jack&jill@??? <jack%26jill@???><
> jack%26jill@??? <jack%2526jill@???>>
> > .
> >
> > Anyone done this before? Any side effects?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Wash,
>
> ISTR '%' has a legacy use that way - but seen more often in MUA on my
> watch.
>
> ISTR Exim [can | does] convert(s) it, so it may be more of a mailman issue
> (pass
> - I use Ecartis)?
>
> But it shouldn't take a lot to JF try it and see...
>
> Three-part right side is no problem, so long as it exists, of course.
>
> Familiar example: news.bbc.co.uk

Thanks Bill,

I actually was only worried about jack&jill@.... the ampersand scares me
somehow...
I love using Mailman's CLI and it groks badly (as I expected) when I try
creating such a list:

gw# /usr/local/mailman/bin/newlist
women&cybercrime@???<women%26cybercrime@???>
[1] 30621
cybercrime@???: Command not found.
gw# Enter the email of the person running the list:

Now, it thinks the part apres the "&" is a command:-)

Can Ecartis handle this scenario? I believe one can run Ecartis & Mailman
side by side, perhaps.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,