[pcre-dev] Spam attacks on lists

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-announce, pcre-dev
Subject: [pcre-dev] Spam attacks on lists
I've been expecting this for a number of years, but its finally hit us...

We have had 2 instances today of spam sent to these lists from
subscribers, neither of which was picked up by the content scanning.

So I've made 2 sets of changes to the list configurations:-

  1. All lists now have new members set to be moderated.
     We will then take them off moderation when they post on-subject
     messages to the list.

  2. All lists other than the exim-users lists have had all existing
     members set to be moderated.  Again users will be taken off
     moderation as we approve messages from them.
     All of the affected lists are relatively low traffic.

This will mean longer delays on postings until people get set non-moderated.
Sorry for that, but I'd prefer to keep the lists relatively spam free,
despite it being something like trying to keep back the sea.

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]