Re: [exim] verify_sender

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] verify_sender
Russell Robinson wrote:
> I got blacklisted at uceprotect.net because of an automated system that sent
> mail to a spamtrap.
>
> However, on reflection, it must of course be blacklisting based on RCPT
> queries.
>
> Here's a scenario that can cause this:
>
> 1. Website runs a forums which protects registrations with CAPTCHA.
>
> 2. Human being (or smart bot) signs up for the forum, solves the CAPTCHA, then
> enters an email address that is a spamtrap address.
>
> 3. Forum software sends email to that address as the last part of verifying
> the user. (Email goes to the spamtrap.)

This is probably the wrong forum to state it but, I would consider a
listing based on the situation you describe to be a false positive. Spam
trap poisoning has been around as long as there have been spam traps and
measures need to be taken to ensure that every message received by a
trap really is a spam message and not something like an innocent 3rd
party doing COI attempts - a methodology that people running the spam
traps are probably also advocates for. I can't speak for them, but that
is certainly my view.

If you're doing all the right things, in a perfect world you would not
be penalised. We do not live in a perfect world.