Re: [exim] *Suspect* Re: strict_rfc821_envelopes

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: W B Hacker
Para: exim users
Tópicos Antigos: Re: [exim] strict_rfc821_envelopes
Assunto: Re: [exim] *Suspect* Re: strict_rfc821_envelopes
Ron White wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 14:46 +0100, Peter Bowyer wrote:
>> On 13 May 2010 12:42, Ron White <exim.ml@???> wrote:
>>> Good afternoon list.
>>>
>>> In Postfix there is this directive: strict_rfc821_envelopes yes || no.
>>> Is there a global Exim equivalent or do I need to form something into an
>>> ACL condition?
>> To save everyone here having to research what that option in Postfix
>> does, could you tell us?
>>

> My sincere apologies. It's a good point as it's a bit of a Postfixism.
>>From the older Postfix docs:
>

> "Require strict RFC 821-style envelope addresses
> The strict_rfc821_envelopes parameter controls how tolerant Postfix is
> with respect to addresses given in MAIL FROM or RCPT TO commands.
> Unfortunately, the widely-used Sendmail program tolerates lots of
> non-standard behavior, so a lot of software expects to get away with it.
> Being strict to the RFC not only stops unwanted mail, it also blocks
> legitimate mail from poorly-written mail applications.
>
> Default:
>         strict_rfc821_envelopes = no

>         By default, the Postfix
> SMTP server accepts any address form that it can make sense of,
> including address forms that contain RFC 822-style comments, or
> addresses not enclosed in <>."

> Which is a little vague and RFC 821 section 4.1.2. does not really
> clarify it as such. I suspect Exim probably takes care of most of this,
> but without the need for this extra directive. Specifically for me I
> would like to enforce <> wrapping addresses.

Have a look at Exim's 'verify = header_syntax' and its many finer-grained
sputniks. Also acl clauses you can hand-implement all the way down to minute and
insanely specific detail w/r substrings or individual characters.

CAVEAT: Suggest a 'warn' verb and point-scoring system with white-list, not a
bare 'deny' class verb. ELSE be prepared to reject all too much of the careless
wide-world.

Bill Hacker