Re: [exim] Query on address rewriting - can it be done in an…

Autor: Ron White
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Query on address rewriting - can it be done in an ACL?
On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 18:10 +0100, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> On 05/08/2010 12:19 PM, Ron White wrote:
> > I guess what I'm trying to ask is can I rewrite address conditionally
> > inline in an ACL?
>
> Effectively no. Best done in routers. Add one near the head
> of your router tree to transform (only) catchall addresses into
> the required destination address, then your existing
> processing is unaffected.

Thanks Jeremy.

I feared that may be the case and it's likely to break some of the logic
going on in the RCPT_TO acl. My understanding is the router runs after
the ACL so any of my 'per recipient' settings may break.

> Mind you, I'm in the "catchalls are evil" camp, unless they're honeypots.

I agree, but pesky customers ask for this feature and the majority of
MTA's/Servers willingly offer it - so it's hard to say 'no, I can't
offer you that'

It looks like the rewrite section, which runs before the 'rcpt to' ACL
(???) is my best (read easiest) option without too much carnage. I'll
make it my project for next week when I can think straight :-)