Re: [exim] Saving roundtrips to MySQL by storing previousres…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Saving roundtrips to MySQL by storing previousresults in ACL variables
Matthew Newton wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 04:23:50AM -0400, W B Hacker wrote:
>>> exim -d+all-memory -bd 2>&1 | tee session.out
>> Sorry - Mea Culpa.
>>
>> I meant in /var/log/exim/mainlog
>>
>> and 'untattended' mode - no ssh/console session attached.
>
> exim -d+all-memory -bd -q30m 2>&1 >> /var/log/exim/mainlog &
>
> You might want to configure exim to put its mainlog elsewhere.
>
> ;-)

Not to worry - space I have plenty of.

> Seriously, it doesn't look like there is an option to do this in
> log_selector - I guess because you'd not normally want this level
> of detail in exim's mainlog.

'Seriously' indeed! Swatting flies with a BFH.

;-)

> Don't see why you couldn't just run
> it as a background task logging to a separate file, though.
>
> Someone else with more knowledge of exim's internals may be able
> to help more. The initial command I gave usually works well enough
> for me.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

back from testing now...

What I see a need for is one more step - run it through a grep to trim it to the
very specific detail sought.

JFWIW - turns out that w/r to SQL, I cache exactly ONE item. The *specifier* for
the connection to the DB as ordained in MAIN. Not, AFAICS, the actual connection
itself.

That's actually what I expected.

Also 'well known' is that I would exhaust the (default) PostgreSQL connection
pool well before Exim got groggy. And I almost never even get close to that
limit - not with a strict rDNS check and tight limits on parallel connections
from any given IP.

Thanks, all.

Bill