Re: [exim] Canvass popular opinion - AMAVIS(new)

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: W B Hacker
To: exim users
題目: Re: [exim] Canvass popular opinion - AMAVIS(new)
Ron White wrote:
> As I continue to build my Exim gateway I've can see the question of a
> virus/spam quarantine on the horizon and would like to ask Exim expert
> their views.
>
> I'm aware of AMAVIS(new) being a popular choice but it appears to have
> two distinct sets of views. There are those that sing its praises, there
> are those that scorn it.
>
> My aim with my Exim gateway is to offer a combination of per-domain and
> per-user settings as far as virus and spam scanning is concerned and
> given the excellent core features that Exim offers in terms of ACL's and
> message processing I can't see how Amavis would be particularly useful.
> I can see it has a place with less capable MTA's, but Exim appears very
> flexible as it is - but perhaps I'm confused?
>
> Can I achieve what Amavis(new) does with Exim without it? I'm happy to
> write specific helper scripts (Perl or shell) for tasks that will fit -
> but would that be waste of time?
>
> Ideally my 'per user' settings would allow a user to select if they
> block(drop at smtp time) || tag(change subject header) || quarantine ||
> allow messages that either contain a virus or score above their own
> personally set spam score threshold. I can easily hold their 'settings'
> in a database against their username and make use of the plethora of
> Exim features to do most of this. The sticking point seems to be
> management of the quarantine ?
>
> I'm very interested in the views of experience people using Exim in
> production and I'm keen not to go the wrong way as I plan for this.

I personally have no stats to prove it, but 'It seems to me' from the
discussions here over quite a few years, that the majority use ClamAV.

Same again w/r SpamAssassin as the most commonly used content-scanner.

Others have been used, will work, can work well- and have had examples of 'how
to' posted here. But not as often.

Majority or no, both SA and ClamAV are dead-easy to integrate with Exim, AND
both can complete their perusal and report back *during* the smtp session.

.... Which helps greatly to reduce (the need for) post-session DSN.

HTH,'

Bill