Re: [exim] A question on SMTP AUTH MySQL and Conditional Syn…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Jim Cheetham
Betreff: Re: [exim] A question on SMTP AUTH MySQL and Conditional Syntax
Quoting Ron White (from 24/04/10 03:01):
> server_condition = ${if crypteq {$3}{\{whateva\}${lookup mysql{ SELECT
> userpassword FROM mailusers WHERE some_condition.....\}}}{yes}{no}}

You have an extra unwanted \ in there at the end of the mysql section.

I'm assuming that your database lookup returns just
"encrypted-password". Exim is sort-of expecting it to return
"{encryption-scheme}encrypted-password" (i.e. the name of the encryption
scheme used first, in curly brackets; and then the actual encrypted
data), and most of the confusion above is coming because it doesn't, and
the syntax for fixing up this "problem" is confusing.

How it all works :-

The authentication session provides an actual password (it was lightly
encoded with base64 during the SMTP session, but this has been taken
care of automatically). Under PLAIN authentication, $3 will contain the
actual user password.

The ${lookup mysql{...}} returns "encrypted-password", because the
database should not be storing the password itself. Please don't store
plain passwords in a database ... :-|

Therefore in order to compare the password with the encrypted password,
we have to say what encryption scheme the database is using -- md5,
sha1, whatever. We cannot decrypt what the database returns, so we must
encrypt the password -- but the difference is invisible to us, Exim does
the right thing.

In order to encrypt the password, we need to tell crypteq which
encryption scheme to use -- "sha1" normally, "whateva" in your example
above. I hope you've compiled in support for the "whateva" scheme! We
need to tell crypteq explicitly what scheme we're using, it cannot guess
by looking at the values. Exim is expecting "{scheme}data", but our DB
isn't returning that ...

Also, crypteq's *syntax* is confusing because it doesn't read like
"encrypt the password with 'whateva' and compare that to what's in the
database", it reads "compare the password with the 'whateva'-encrypted
data from the database".

And, for good measure, the way you say "whateva" demands curly brackets,
which are *not* part of the command syntax, and therefore need to have
backslashes in front of them ...

crypteq takes two strings, the unencrypted password in one, and the
encrypted password PLUS the encryption scheme name in the second. We
need to explicitly say \{whateva\} in front of the SQL lookup.

crypteq {$3}{\{whateva\}${lookup ...}}

${if} takes three values; the query (the entire crypteq thing from
above), and the two results.

server_condition = ${if crypteq {$3}{\{whateva\}${lookup ...}}{yes}{no}}

read more about crypteq:
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/spec_11.html

-jim