Re: [exim] Setting for extra exim processes

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Setting for extra exim processes
Marc Perkel <marc@???> (Fr 23 Apr 2010 00:30:52 CEST):
> I'm sure it's in the docs somewhere but I can't find it. What is the
> setting to allocate extra exim processes to listed for incoming
> connections. I'm looking to allocate spare processes to increase
> performance.

I'd say, you can't do it with a single instance. Exim is not preforking,
it's unix „old school“ behaviour - just fork on accept(2) of a new
connection and die if the connection is done. (Actually before the
receiving process dies, it starts a process responsible for the first
delivery attempt.)

And - which kind of performance you need? Fast rejections of unwanted
incoming connections (based on DNS lookups)? Short „pass through“ times
for accepted messages? Minimum delay on connection establishment?

SMTP is no service for interactive use, thus some delay (during the
fork()) should not matter. Pre-forked or spare processes just do some
cpu cycles in advance.

    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -