[exim] ACL blocks bounces

Author: Jan Groenewald
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] ACL blocks bounces
Hi

I am using Ubuntu 6.06.2 with exim4-daemon-heavy 4.60-3ubuntu3.1.
I have several ACLs to block certain Subject lines and From addresses,
for example, in /etc/exim4/exim.conf, I have, under the acl_check_message
section:

deny message = This subject line is not allowed at AIMS. \
Please contact the mail administrator: postmaster@???
log_message = Suspected SPAM subject line
regex = (?i)^Subject:: .*lottery.*

This works fine for external users who mail us and then get a bounce
announcing that the message was blocked due to the subject line.

For local users, however, the bounce also hits the ACL block,
so they get no notification that their message was not delivered :(
I have tried adding both of

!senders = Mailer-Daemon@???
and
!hosts = localhost

to that stanza, but it does not work. The bounce is still blocked
by the same ACL. What am I doing wrong?

Or is there an even more accurate way to specify locally generated
bounces should pass this block? (Some incoming spam or phishing
could be faking From: Mailer-Daemon@???)

regards,
Jan

--