Re: [exim] Find version

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Ian Eiloart
To: exim-users
Oggetto: Re: [exim] Find version

--On 7 April 2010 16:24:45 +0100 John Robinson
<john.robinson@???> wrote:

>> I would have RTFM looking for a fix to it, but as it was missing I
>> thought 'I'll ask those helpful people on the list, I'm sure they won't
>> do the postfix thing and flame me for the question....'
>
> You haven't been flamed, not really; just a gentle toasting at most.
> After all everyone told you the answer as well as suggesting means of
> finding it in the various sources of documentation.

I think most people still think RTFM is impolite. The F doesn't stand for
Fine. Therefore, one must assume that when saying it, you'll quite likely
offend the recipient. If one wishes the recipient to read "fine", then it's
probably best to invest in the three additional keystrokes required to
remove the ambiguity.

Actually, even "Read the manual" isn't terribly polite. It makes the
assumption that the reader hasn't attempted to do so. In this case, the OP
explicitly said that he'd spent an hour looking before posting.

The documentation is huge (which is good, but doesn't make it easier to
find stuff), and distributed in several different places. And, the answer
is somewhat surprising given that it's none of the three most likely
answers (-v, -V, --version).

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex

 /\  Document Freedom Day        - Liberate your documents
_\/` http://documentfreedom.org/ - March 31st 2010