[exim] Reminder: ClamAV 0.95 minimum from 2010-04-15

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Exim Users
Subject: [exim] Reminder: ClamAV 0.95 minimum from 2010-04-15
While I can't gather stats on which scanners are deployed at Exim
installs, I think it reasonable to assume that *many* installs make use
of ClamAV.

The developers today sent a reminder to the clamav-announce
mailing-list [†], stating:

this is a reminder that starting from 15 April 2010 our CVD will contain
a special signature which disables all clamd installations older than
0.95 - that is to say older than 1 year.

http://lurker.clamav.net/message/20100407.141109.2a7c287b.en.html

I'd really rather not face a flood of complaints on exim-users from
April 15th that ClamAV has broken and asking for help debugging it. I
suspect that my hope is forlorn and that even the careful inclusion of
words in this mail, to match search-engines, won't help with people who
post to lists asking for help without doing basic research themselves
first. But hey, I'll pile in the keywords anyway. And if you found
this message by searching, then: "Thank You! You rock!"

Ways to check the version of ClamAV:
$ clamdscan --version
$ clamscan --version
$ exim -be '${readsocket{inet:127.0.0.1:3310}{VERSION}}'
$ exim -be '${readsocket{/var/run/clamav/clamd}{VERSION}}'

Regards,
-Phil

† Yes, that's a hint to subscribe to the announce lists of software you
care about

Keyword fodder:
Exim; exim broken; anti-virus scanner; AV scanner; exim won't detect
viruses; why is Exim not working with ClamAV any more? Help, Exim
virus-scanning is broken. How do I fix virus-scanning in Exim? What's
happened to my virus-scanning in Exim? Exim broke today.