Re: [exim] European Time Zones

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: W B Hacker
Para: exim users
Assunto: Re: [exim] European Time Zones
David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 17:28 -0700, Phil Pennock wrote:
>> Most decent MUAs will translate times into the local timezone though,
>> so it shouldn't matter for the end-user.
>
> I hate it when they do that. I want to know what time zone my
> correspondent is in, and what time of day it is there. That way I can
> have a reasonable expectation of when they're going to be responsive.

Show all headers or 'message source' will usually reveal that. And/or do a
'whois' on their initial connectivity ISP's MTA and see what country that is in.

CAVEATS:

- sender could be accessing an ISP not co-located, as in by IDDD over modem, or
using Webmail from some other ISP, or on a WiFi hotspot that networks to a very
distant host, or ssh logged-in to a server with mail facilities but actually
sitting on some other continent.

- or simply not have the 'local' time set on their laptop...

;-)

IOW - There *is no* absolute certainty in headers no matter which TZ/offset is
used on MUA or MTA.

So 'reasonable expectation' is probably best served by whether they've just sent
to you within the last few minutes and hoping they haven't gone walkabout since.

YMMV

Bill