Re: [exim] European Time Zones

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Always Learning
CC: Exim Users
New-Topics: Re: [exim] European Time Zones (OT)
Subject: Re: [exim] European Time Zones
On 2010-04-06 at 01:57 +0100, Always Learning wrote:
> > * exim -d is your friend
>
> But on my Exim I get a lot of lines - not one refers to time zones or to
> time anything.

There are notes in the man-page and Specification describing how to
expand the information which -d will give you.

If I do { exim -d phil.pennock } and give just From:/To:/Subject:
headers and a short body, then I see this section:
----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 02:14:08 +0000
I Message-Id: <E1NyyIg-000K0u-KZ@???>
----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------

That shows what will be added by an MUA which invokes sendmail/exim as
a command-line Mail Submission Agent, instead of talking SMTP to a local
server. If that shows the +0300 then the problem is inconsistent
"timezone" specifications to Exim and the easiest fix is to just include
an explicit "timezone" rule in the Exim config file.

> UTC would never be truly popular with end users.

As noted, MUAs should be translating the mail's timestamp into the local
timezone for display purposes, or at least have an option to do so. And
MUAs should be supplying their own Date: header, instead of leaving it
up to the system MTA to do so.

> Paul
> Currently on BST (GMT +1) known to the Dutch as EZT (Engels Zomer Tijd).

In seven years living in The Netherlands, working for an ISP, I never
heard it referred to as that, but it was a predominantly
English-speaking working environment. Everyone just used the normal
GMT/BST names instead of getting into national variants of other
countries' own timezone names. After all, didn't I just reply to a mail
where you castigated people in the USA for doing just that?

*cough*

-Phil