Re: [exim] Not receiving delivery reports

Author: John Burnham
To: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [exim] Not receiving delivery reports

> > Thanx for the response. So the short answer is that Exim doesn't do
> > delivery reports... Is there any reason why?
>
> I don't recall anyone ever requesting that feature on here?
> It probably
> doesn't exist because of a lack of demand...

I believe the real reason is that they're utterly pointless. How does a mail server know that it has delivered the message to its final destination ? The fact that it has written the message to a file doesn't necessarily mean that it has been delivered - the delivery system might then rely on another server doing something unpleasant with fetchmail, for example. Just because a mail server has done all that it needs to do with a message does not mean that it has been "delivered".
John