Re: [exim] Is there a way to conditionally suppress sections…

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Is there a way to conditionally suppress sections in bounce message?
On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 18:24 -0500, Brent Bloxam wrote:
> Is there any way to conditionally suppress sections of a bounce message?
> If I don't want to _anything_ to do with the fourth item (copy of the
> message), is there any way to do that? From what I read in Section 46 of
> the documentation, it doesn't appear that there is, but I wanted to make
> sure I hadn't missed something.

Don't know if you really meant forth there, or firth. You talk about the
5th.

None of the configuration variables used to control the returned body
appear to be expandable so conditionally setting it could be an issue.
You can certainly blanket disable the return of any of the body with
"bounce_return_message" (bool), or reduce the size down to 1 character.

Here's all the bits from the manual that I looked at:

      * The fourth item is used to introduce the copy of the message
        that is returned as part of the error report.
      * The fifth item is added after the fourth one if the returned
        message is truncated because it is bigger than
        return_size_limit.

bounce_return_message
    Use: main
  Type: boolean
     Default: true

If this option is set false, none of the original message is included in
bounce messages generated by Exim. See also bounce_return_size_limit and
bounce_return_body.

bounce_return_size_limit Use: main Type: integer Default: 100K

This option sets a limit in bytes on the size of messages that are
returned to senders as part of bounce messages when
bounce_return_message is true. The limit should be less than the value
of the global message_size_limit and of any message_size_limit settings
on transports, to allow for the bounce text that Exim generates. If this
option is set to zero there is no limit.

When the body of any message that is to be included in a bounce message
is greater than the limit, it is truncated, and a comment pointing this
out is added at the top. The actual cutoff may be greater than the value
given, owing to the use of buffering for transferring the message in
chunks (typically 8K in size). The idea is to save bandwidth on those
undeliverable 15-megabyte messages.

--
The Exim manual - http://docs.exim.org