Re: [exim] Exim Consolidating users

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Jonathan Gilpin
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim Consolidating users
On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 08:51 +0000, Jonathan Gilpin wrote:
> On 25 Feb 2010, at 08:32, David Woodhouse wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 14:54 -0800, Phil Pennock wrote:
> >>
> >> Okay, so you've rewritten the recipient in another Router which you
> >> haven't shown us. Two of the SMTP RCPT recipients have been rewritten
> >> to the same SMTP recipient, and Exim is not delivering twice to the
> >> *same* recipient, as routed.
> >>
> >> This is a very different problem to the one described.
> >
> > Um, that's exactly what I read in his first message.
> >
> > I don't know of a way to make Exim deliver multiple copies of the same
> > message to the "same" recipient.
>
> It's not the same recipient, they would be different recipients as they would be
> different email addresses in the RCPT To.

> I'm actually not using a redirect as my routers are using 'accep't.

Apart from the one that isn't:

mysql_aliases:
driver = redirect
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe
data = ${lookup mysql{SELECT destination ...}}

Presumably that's the one which redirects all unknown addresses to
'postmaster'? I definitely see 'postmaster' as the destination address
in the logs you've posted:

2010-02-24 18:15:02 1NkLlE-000AJ2-Pu => postmaster <gg@???>
R=virtual_local_mailbox T=virtual_local_md_delivery

> > One possible solution might be to change the way you do the catch-all.
> > Rather than using an alias and redirecting all the unknown recipient
> > addresses to postmaster@, try a router which matches all the unknown
> > addresses and just _happens_ to deliver them all into the same maildir?
>
> Do you have any ideas of how to implement the above?

Perhaps instead of redirecting to 'postmaster' you could redirect to an
address such as 'catchall-$original_local_part', and then ensure that
such recipients are all delivered into the same mailbox by the routers?

--
dwmw2