Re: [exim] [Newbie] Configure exim for a LAN

Author: Bill Hayles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [Newbie] Configure exim for a LAN
Hi,

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 14:24:04 +0100 in message e4fa73071002200524j3aa69042vaea2f884b755072f@???,
from Fabien LUCE <fabienluce@???> received here at 20/02/2010 14:32:48
It was said:

> Hi everyone,
>
> i'm pretty new to exim and mail servers in general.
> I try to set a lan mail server at my home and by the way learn more about
> domain name and mail delivery.

I'm pretty much a newbie, too - to exim if not to networking. I've read
Phil's reply, but I'm wondering if he isn't trying to find you solutions to
problems which are very easily resolved by your buying your own domain name.

That's what I did. I bought craybox.com and have the DNS records point to my
own server. It so happens that I have a static IP, but even if you don't,
there are services like DNSExit which offer free DNS services for those with
dynamic IPs. Domains aren't expensive to buy, and offer all sorts of
advantages since you already have your own server on which to host your own
website, for example.

That way, you wouldn't be hijacking a domain, you'd have your own, which
would surely make life easier.

I use SuSE rather than Debian, so examples of my config files won't help you
much.

Hope this helps, and I hope the experts don't mind me butting in!